Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Welcome To My New Art Blog

 I was inspired by the blog www.womenpaintingwomen.blogspot.com to come up with an idea for male artists to be featured. I thought of a few titles, "Men Painting Women", "Men Painting Men", "Men Painting Dogs", but none of them seemed right. The idea behind "Women Painting Women" is to feature paintings that have a different point of view than the traditional "male gaze", which objectifies women. This blog is about the way that male artist's look at and make art about lemons. Do we objectify lemons? I'm not sure (aren't lemons already objects?) Do we look at lemons differently from women? Do we see sour fruit and they see lemonade? Regardless of these deep and meaningful questions, there are quite a few really good artists who have painted lemons at one time or another. Because of those lecherous old artists of the past we have been excluded from a pretty cool blog (Women Painting Women) that features a great group of artists, so here's our chance to shine! I'll start off with one of my own lemon paintings "Lemons, Canoe, and Bottle" oil on panel, 16"x20". More of my work can be found at www.ShawnSullivanPaintings.com

No comments:

Post a Comment